Saturday, 3 November 2012

Weaving Away The Days

One of the things I love most about a full day in the Weave Workshop is how once it gets to 4.30 & it's time to leave, I really do feel like I've done a hard days graft. Mentally & physically, it's quite challenging to think so much about structures & numbers, staring at tiny details, all the while peddling like your life depends on it & passing the shuttle from left to right & back again, all for around 6 hours a day. But this isn't a complaint, it's because of all this that I feel such a sense of accomplishment when I finish another sample. It's the technical side of things that I really enjoy, I like finding out how things work & how to fix something when it seems like it's gone wrong.

The past couple of weeks I've just been weaving. Quite a lot. At the beginning of this unit the idea of 'Thinking by Making' was brought up, and I loved this because it suited my way of working. So I've just been trying my best to produce samples I can be happy with, experimenting with different structures, figuring  out my weft colours & using my actual samples as inspiration for drawing.

No comments:

Post a Comment