Friday, 17 May 2013

3 - Refinements & Conclusions

As I came to the end of my Wallace#Sewell sampling and started with my next warp, I found that are are some qualities that I wanted to carry over into my new set of samples. An example being the blends of colour, it would be the same idea, just on a much more subtle level.
The mixture of warp & weft floats from my W#S samples are great for creating texture, and this is also a quality I really wanted to portray in my further sampling.

Proposal

The final samples for both parts of the brief have turned out well and are very different from one another. It has been interesting to see how two outcomes stemming from the same inspiration can be so contrasting. My Wallace#Sewell samples were causing me some frustration to begin with, but I now believe that this was simply because it was a way of working that I was not familiar with. The final samples actually ended up being some of my favourite work and fitted well into the interiors context (as seen in the first image). I learned a huge amount about designing my own structures and will be tweaking and using some of my designs again in the future.
I believe that my samples fit the context I was aiming for with both outcomes. With both outcomes, the aim was to make something that would fit in with the ranges at W#S and the National Trust, but to not copy what either do. For the National Trusts/GNCCF side of Unit X, I would have liked to have made more than one final product, as visualised in the second image. However I am happy with how my finished scarf looks and have received a positive reaction from staff and fellow peers.

I think that the ideas I have shown could fit in well with the professional market, and that the production is improving. While I am not the expert at woven fabrics, I do feel as though I am getting somewhere.

Presentation


At yesterdays presentation, I believe that my work was set out as clearly as possible, and the added mannequin to present my scarf on helped to pull the whole thing together (third image). For the verbal presentation, I think I definitely could have done better. Presenting in front of a group of people has never been my strong point, however I am hoping to improve with this. I did manage to successfully get most of my points across, but on the other hand I missed out a few parts that may have helped my presentation to come across more clearly.

Conclusion

If I were to take on this project again, I would hope to have managed my time more effectively, as I feel there could have been more final products made. I also would have taken more time when considering colours and structures in relation to weaving, for the second half of the project especially, I think that a lot more could have been explored. However for the most part I believe that the project as a whole has been successful.

No comments:

Post a Comment